Monday 23 May 2016

Ekmek Kataifi - A Greek Dessert

Leading up to my post for our Greek themed monthly supper club at The Nook I thought I would post a few 'action' shots taken whilst preparing one of the desserts, Ekmek Kataifi.

Kataifi is a traditional sweet Greek pastry often covered with a sweet syrup, or honey, and nuts.
Kataifi pastry is very finely shredded filo, which is made from wheat and water. I didn't attempt to make this myself but ordered it online from a Greek food supplier.  

To make this dessert I gently pulled the strands apart and covered the base of a well buttered baking dish. More melted butter was poured over the top before baking in the oven for about 20/30 minutes until golden.
One of our customers in the evening asked if the base of the dessert was made from shredded wheat as it resembled the taste and texture of the breakfast cereal.





Whilst the pastry was baking I made a syrup by boiling honey, sugar, water, lemon zest, cinnamon and cloves in a pan for about 10 minutes.
When the pastry came out of the oven, and was slightly cooled, I poured the syrup over the top and then covered with chopped almonds and pistachios.  



I whisked up some custard, green food colouring, and whipping cream and spread over the top of the nuts. Then to make this dessert totally calorific I whisked more cream with icing sugar until thick and piped on top of the custard.

 
 
 
 
A few more chopped pistachios on top and left to chill in the fridge until ready for service. 
 
 


I often hear TV chefs go on about dishes having different textures as well as taste and this dessert definitely has that. The crisp pastry, with the smooth cream and hard nuts worked brilliantly.
Definitely a success.
 
Take a look at my post on The Greek Supper Club for more ideas on hosting a Greek food event.
The full recipe for this dish can be found on my pinterest board
here along with all my other Greek scrapbooking ideas.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment