Monday 6 July 2015

Goats Cheese Summer Salad, With Potato Rosti & Damson Ketchup

Do you ever have food you're not ready to use at the moment so put it in the freezer then totally forget about it for ages? Well, whilst cleaning out the freezer at work this week I came across a tub of frozen damsons that must have been stored away last summer and forgotten about.
Needing freezer space I defrosted them and boiled them up with some onions, brown sugar, red wine vinegar and spices until thickened, then strained until a beautiful ketchup was formed.
Discussions then began at work as to what to serve it with.
One of the girls suggested goats cheese, and at that point the cogs in my head started turning!!
Damson ketchup, goats cheese, broad beans, smoked bacon, roasted tomatoes, rocket served on potato rosti. This combination sounded like fun, so I got to work creating the dish, and boy did it turn out well.




Damson ketchup, goats cheese, broad beans, smoked bacon and roasted cherry tomatoes on potato rosti


Potato rosti isn't probably your usual ingredient for a salad. Quite interestingly Rösti is a Swiss dish consisting mostly of grated potato. Originally it was served as a farmers breakfast and then as a side dish to accompany a main meal.
For my rosti I used white potatoes, chopped chives and spring onions.



Ingredients for potato rosti. Potato, chive and spring onion.
 
 
First job is to grate the potato, wrap it in a clean tea towel and tightly squeeze so that all the water from the potato comes out. 
 
Grated potato in a tea towel to remove the water content.



Put the potato in a bowl and mix in the chive and spring onion and season with salt and pepper. I added an egg as well at this point to help bind the mix although recipes I've looked at don't seem to. Your choice!

Grated potato, chive and spring onion mix



Melting some butter in a frying pan I packed a mould tight with the potato mix and cooked for about 5 minutes on the hob.
Frying the rosti
 
After 5 minutes I removed the mould and turned the rosti over and cook for a further few minutes.
When browned both sides I removed from the pan  and put on a tray in the oven at 175° with a slice of goats cheese and some cherry tomatoes.
 
 
 


Browned potato rosti

While all that baked in the oven I fried off, in a pan, some chopped smoked bacon and pre-cooked broad beans.
That done I put all the ingredients together on a wooden board, for that rustic effect.

Goats cheese and potato rosti salad.
 
 
I placed the rosti in the centre of the board and sat the goats cheese on top. Some rocket then spread around and the bacon and broad beans scattered on top with the roasted cherry tomatoes.   
 
 
 
As well as some of  my ketchup served in a side dish I also put some in a squeezy bottle and drizzled from side to side over the whole dish
A scattering of chopped parsley and this dish has wowed all our customers this week.
Let's see if it wows you!!  

Damson ketchup, goats cheese, potato rosti salad with broad beans, smoked bacon and roasted cherry tomatoes



Linking up with
Tasty Tuesdays
Foodie Friday And Everything Else

1 comment:

  1. I love salads, especially this time of year, and this one is absolutely gorgeous!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete