Tuesday 28 April 2015

Rhubarb & Apple Chutney Served With Smoked Mackerel Pate


The sun is still shining at The Nook On The Square this week and our fine lady gardener informed me that there was Rhubarb at the end of the garden if I could use it for anything.
Cooking is certainly a passion, but to actually cut produce grown in your own garden and create a recipe for the public to eat and enjoy certainly takes passion to the next level.


Rhubarb In The Nook Garden
 
 
Always up for the challenge, I immediately got onto google for ideas and found a few recipes that put rhubarb and smoked mackerel together. Sounded lovely!
Straight away I got some smoked mackerel in and got Eli, my super assistant, to make pate whilst I attempted a chutney to accompany it.
I chopped about 4 sticks of rhubarb and put in a pan with some light brown sugar (about 75g), big handful sultanas, finely chopped red onion, 1 inch grated ginger, salt, pepper, zest and juice of an orange and 5 tbsp white wine vinegar and put on the stove.
I left all ingredients to come to the boil, then let simmer.
If I'm honest I didn't measure the vinegar and put a little too much in and the rhubarb seemed saturated which is where I had the idea to skin, core and chop a couple of apples and add to the pan.


Fresh Chopped Rhubarb

 
As the mixture reduced I removed from the stove and put in small dishes to accompany the pate.
Served on our rustic wooden boards with toasted sourdough this dish has proved to be another winner on the menu this week.
Smoked Mackerel Pate served with Rhubarb & Apple Chutney and Toasted Sourdough
Linking up with Foodie Friday And Everything Else Party  and have also just discovered Tasty Tuesday to join in with.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the perfect Spring dish! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete