Monday 2 April 2012

Wild Boar Sausage and Red Wine Casserole

It's important to promote produce in the cafe that is sold in the farm shop at Skylark Farm.
As i looked through the chiller this week my eyes caught sight of Wild Boar Sausages and i thought they would be tasty in a casserole with maybe a touch of red wine. And i was right!!!

So i fried off the sausages in a pan with a small amount of oil until browned all over, then removed from the pan and set aside. At the same time i put on some new potatoes to boil and chopped some carrots and an onion.
In the sausage pan i added my onion and carrots and cooked on a medium heat for 5 minutes until golden. Reducing the heat i sprinkled about an ounze of plain flour in the pan and cooked for a further 2 minutes. I poured a good amount of red wine in the pan and topped up with some beef stock. The 2 together probably equated to about a pint of fluid. I had some tomato puree in the pantry so i added 3or4 tbsps of that too. I brought the mixture to the boil stirring until the sauce was smooth, then simmered until thickened. To the pan i added my sausages (sliced) and some thyme, salt and pepper.

I transfered my mixture to a heatproof dish, sliced up my cooked new potatoes and layered them on top.





I then baked in the oven for about 20minutes on 180C.




Serve hot from the pan with mashed potatoes and peas.








Very popular on the specials board and extremely tasty!







No comments:

Post a Comment